Friday, October 16, 2009

Bucko Going Bananas


(I originally wrote this a few years ago)

Some times I yell. Some times I think my neighbours think I am crazy. Sometimes I wish they read my blog and know why my voice escalates decibels...

The following incident I truly believe all stems from our governments irresponsible advertising of gambling. More than a year ago my oldest daughter started recognizing "Bucko" on TV like other kids might recognize Mickey Mouse or Dora the Explorer. (For all of my non- local friends "Bucko" is the lame local lotto mascot- a loonie with a smiley face scrawled on it in black indelible marker, taped to the end of a tongue depressor. They use this thing in commercials to somehow entice you to gamble. I don't know any adult convinced that Bucko will bring them luck and smiles but I do know one toddler. With her deep-seeded belief that Bucko is good, there is no doubt the newest Lotto 649 commercial also yielded a strong impression on my little one and whetted her appetite of interest... I will continue with this after I paint the picture of this morning's calamities...

So my daughter ate some yogurt and a BANANA for breakfast. She and my baby proceeded to empty all the footwear from the front closet... fairly regular occurrence- really need some doors on that thing. So here I am cleaning it up, not teaching my kid any lessons about responsibility, because I'm trying to teach her a lesson about time-management and we have got to get to swimming lessons.

Tinkle, tinkle, tinkle. No, nooo, noooooooooooooooooooooo... I turn around... you think I'm going to say she broke some glass, or was peeing on the floor, or tapping on something... no none of the above is correct. In fact my little daughter was mimicking the latest and greatest escapades displayed in the ridiculous marketing schemes of the Lotto 649- she was swinging from the chandelier!

Today I yelled.

From this day forward we are cutting back on bananas.

2 comments:

Tell me what you think... were you entertained? Has this happened to you? Let me know with your comment